Thursday, October 05, 2006

Eric Weisstein, Creator of MathWorld

MathWorld mungkin adalah referensi online terbaik untuk matematika. Orang hebat yang ada di balik karya hebat ini adalah Eric Weisstein. Aku tertarik mengenal lebih baik orang hebat ini lewat websitenya. Yang ingin kutulis di sini adalah bahwa di balik the making of a great person, ada orang2 yang mungkin dianggap biasa atau kurang hebat darinya. Tapi tanpa mereka, mungkin tak akan ada orang hebat seperti Eric Weisstein.

Bagaimana aku bisa tahu? Aku kutip bagian di bawah ini dari bagian acknowledgement pada disertasinya di Caltech saat dia umur 27.

"First and foremost, thanks to my parents. Although you may not have shared in my fondness for math and science, you have supported me in everything I have done. Thanks for all the trips to science museums (when I'm sure you would have much rather been somewhere else), for allowing me the freedom to choose my own direction while at the same time providing just the right amount of guidance, and for instilling in me a love of learning. You spared no effort to provide me with the best education possible, and for that I am eternally grateful."

"To Martin Burkhead of the astronomy department at Indiana University, who agreed to let a lowly high school student take his introductory astronomy course, thanks for your engaging teaching style, cheerfulness and, above all, enthusiasm. Just look where Astro 110 has taken me!"

Dari sekian banyak orang yang telah memberi pengaruh, aku tertarik dengan dua kelompok ini: ORANGTUA dan GURU (termasuk dosen). Kenapa? Yah, satu karena aku pernah dan ingin jadi yang kedua dan juga ingin jadi yang pertama, ga tahu kapan. Kedua, karena minimal tiap orang kemungkinan suatu saat jadi orangtua. See, you and I may not be the most influential persons in the world, but you and I CAN and SHOULD be the MOST INFLUENTIAL person in the worlds of some people God deliberately bring to us: children, students, friends.

If I can see further than anyone else, it is only because I am standing on the shoulders of giants.
-Sir Isaac Newton

No comments: