Wednesday, September 07, 2005

Envy can be good or bad

Envy, in a healthy dose, can be a good friend to boost our spirit to perform better. But if it exceeds the healthy limit, it can be a devil. Sometimes I envy my colleagues and friends (or younger ones) who can perform better than I do, live more productive and healthy life, or have things I am looking forward to having. But the question arised is why should I envy them?

I learn some important lessons about this.
  • You've gotta be focused on your own priority. It is so easy to follow people doing things which are enjoyable to do but not essential. Remember. You have a very short life. Just focus on your own mission, focus on your own strengths. But be glad to the achievements of others. They deserve your appreciation.
  • Sometimes this principle is found useful: MYOB, Mind Your Own Business. You can expand it to almost all aspects. It can be MYOL (Mind Your Own Life),MYOP (Mind Your Own Project), MYOC (Mind Your Own Course), MYOF (Mind Your Own Family), MYOH (Mind Your Own Health), MYOx (x can be anything).
  • Instead of being envy, its more healthy to be happy. Yeah, to be happy with good progress made by our own friends. Laugh and smile as long as you are not taxed for that. But please always remember to be yourself.
  • Ask yourself: what happen with me? why can't I perform like them? Do I give my best or am I undermine my own potentials to grow?
  • Accept that each person is created unique. There is no one who is same like you. The key to happiness is to be able to happily accept ourselves with all the potentials and weaknesses, to be able to happily pay respect and to maintain good relationship with others, and to live with God-pleasing contentment.
  • The most important thing for me to do on earth is the works God wants me to do and finish. If I want to find approval and honor, seek it not from men. You'll sin by then. But seek it only from God. Your job is not to make people envy you, but to make them glorify the LORD.

No comments: