Friday, July 29, 2005

How bad do you want it?

Have you ever come to make a commitment only to find out that you broke it in the next few days? I have, a lot of time. Have you ever come to a condition when you really need to do something and you are ready to sacrifice anything only to make it happen? I have.

What is my point in writing these? My thesis is that the level of enthusiasm and energy in accomplishing something is proportionally related to the level of its importance, meaning and value to us.

For example, if my beloved mother suddenly suffers from a terrible heart attack and gets hospitalized, dying while I am 250 kilometers away from home, what will I do? An easy question. I will at the moment contact my boss and share the condition and I tell him that I'll go to Medan for seeing my mother, maybe for the last time, with or without his permission. I'll leave without any single thought about anything except my dear mother. No doubt.

I think this can be a good tool for fighing against idleness and laziness. Before doing something, you'd better take time first to define what's the importance of doing it for you. What is the meaning of it for you? What benefit can you and others can get from it? Why do you want to do it? How bad do you want it done? This will be complete if the Scripture is the foundation.

I think this will give us a clear way out when falling into any of these two categories of nearly all problems in decision making.
  • NOT DOING what you really like and want to do, yet bad and harmful for you.
  • DOING what you don't like or want to do, yet good and necessary for you.
That's the theory class. Now comes the hardest yet most enjoyable part: the laboratory session of life. Practices make perfect, eh?

No comments: