Sunday, August 21, 2005

Tuktuk trip: This is my Father's world

During my trip, I remember several times I mumbled or sang in my heart or loudly a beautiful song I knew, "This is my Father's world." The beautiful scenery, the mountains, the fresh air, the vast lake made me thankful that God has so kindly blessed Indonesia, particularly Batak people such a wonderful blessing. The song taught me that God created the world and God is always in control. Actually the teaching from the song will be far more inspirative when it's sung in a seemingly chaotic world, a harsh world where people may hardly find the sovereign God at work and still invincibly holding the full control.

I think with wise care taken to the rich resources, together actually Batak people should be able build their life toward a prosperious one. But why Batak people in the Batak hinterland are still considered poor people? This is a question that may become a research topic for master or doctorate thesis. But based on a surface observation, one of the answer is the failure of the people and the local governments to realize and utilize all the potentials with which they have been richly blessed for the goodness of the community. Then this answer can lead to another question? Why do they fail to do that? I don't know the sure reason but I think a leader with a pure heart, vision and ambition to work hard to bring his people to higher level of life quality should be able to see what others can not see. Armed with deep knowledge, experiences, wise advisors, and guidance from God, I'll bet he can do it. Now another question arises. Do Batak people have leaders like that? I assume all of you know the answer.

This is my Father's world
And to my list'ning ears
All nature sings and round me rings
The music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world
I rest me in the thought
Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas
His hand the wonders wrought

Lyrics: Malbie D. Babcock
Music: Franklin L. Sheppard

No comments: