Sunday, August 21, 2005

Tuktuk trip: e-commerce of traditional Batak handicrafts

Yesterday morning, my friends and I took a two-hour walk around Tuktuk. In the journey, we passed some galleries that displayed the traditional Batak handicrafts. I take a chance to talk with a man who owned a gallery. He said that after 1997 the number of the foreign tourists coming to Tuk-tuk suffered an unfortunate decline. It directly affected their sales and income. The condition seemed not yet fully recovered to the condition before the crisis. The golden era has gone for years and the people looked like almost losing hope.

Is it still possible to change the sad situation? I think it's not impossible as long as all of the people and the government officials are willing to pay the price. Now I come to the most practical question. What can I do to help them with the IT knowledge and skills? I quickly remembered one word: e-commerce. I need to find out whether professional e-commerce websites for these traditional Batak handicrafts have been created and operated. If not, then I see this as a good opportunity to create a professional e-commerce website to promote and sell the unique and exotic hand-made Batak products to the world. It's not easy to build it from scratch but it's also not impossible. What I need is time, a bunch of money for research and gathering data, a good dose of persistence, dedication, and patience as well as help from my students to be my coworkers. Or maybe I can assign this as a project for the course of second year project. But I think it's too long because it will take place next year. So?

No comments: